This is a flavor-packed, highly seasoned, spicy chili that is mostly in the Southwestern homestyle with two types of beans and corn. Its Eastern flare comes from the Thai chilies and Shishito peppers. The white pepper gives it a little bit of an Asian twist as well.
We have three different spice mixes that go in at different times to create layers of flavors, and a final fourth seasoning with white pepper at the end. We also season each time we add aromatics and fresh peppers in the beginning, as you’ll see in the recipe instructions.
East Meets West Spicy Chili
- 3 tbsp bacon drippings
- 1 white onion diced
- 6 Thai chili peppers sliced thin
- 4 shishito peppers sliced, three of them deseeded
- 6 cloves garlic sliced as thin as possible
- 2 lbs ground chuck 20% fat
- 1 14.1 oz can Marzanino tomatoes whole peeled in tomato juice (Found at Trader Joes. It is a tomato halfway between the San Marzano tomato and the datterino tomato. Is a little tomato, with a slightly long shape and with a vivid red color.)
- 1 15.5 oz can black beans
- 1 15.5 oz can kidney beans
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 jalapeño pepper sliced, deseeded. Optional garnish.
- ½ cup red onion diced. Optional garnish.
- ½ cup sour cream Optional garnish.
Seasoning Round 1 (for onion, peppers, garlic and meat)
- 5-6 pinches salt divided
- 3 pinches MSG divided
Seasoning Round 2 (combine all ingredients)
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 2 tbsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp chipotle powder
- 3 tsp cayenne powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 pinch MSG
Seasoning Round 3 (combine all ingredients)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
Seasoning Round 4
- 2 tsp white pepper
- In a heavy pot, melt the bacon drippings.
- Drop the onion and hit it with 1-2 pinches of salt, and 1 pinch of MSG, and sauté over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the Thai chilis, shishito peppers, and garlic and AGAIN hit it with 1-2 pinches of salt, and 1 pinch of MSG, and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the meat, and AGAIN hit it with 1-2 pinches of salt, and 1 pinch of MSG, raise heat to medium-high. Cook the meat nearly through, and LEAVE IN the fat. Do not drain.
- Add the Marzanino tomatoes, black beans, kidney beans, fire roasted diced tomatoes, corn, bay leaf. Break up the Marzanino tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Add Seasoning Round 2 to pot. Return the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add Seasoning Round 3 to pot. Return the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in white pepper. Remove bay leaf.
- Serve. Add optional garnish.