The Down Home Piggy Pig Burger features Blue Smoke Blaire’s award-winning Sweet Bourbon BBQ sauce and Down Home rub. “Blue Smoke Blaire” is Erica Blair Roby. She won season two of Bobby Flay’s BBQ Brawl.
I met Erica, and some other famous pitmasters, while judging the BBQ category (along with my partner, Lori) at The World Food Championships in Dallas in November 2022.
Credit for the coleslaw recipe goes to Lori.
I suggest serving with Jalapeño Ranch Potato Chips. (Cape Cod® Waves Jalapeño Ranch Waves Kettle Cooked Potato Chips preferred.)
Down Home Piggy Pig Burger
- 1 Mandoline slicer optional
Burger - (makes one burger)
- 6 oz ground pork butt
- 1½ tsp Blue Smoke Blaire's Down Home rub
- ¼ tsp Cayenne (the rub has cayenne, but I wanted a little more)
- 1 slice cooked crispy bacon
- 1 oz Blue Smoke Blaire's Sweet Bourbon BBQ sauce
- 1 fresh peach slice ⅛" thick with skin on Use a fresh peach only, not canned. Using a mandoline slicer, slice a ⅛" piece, wrap or put in a baggie and put in refrigerator until needed.
- 1 onion bun toasted (I used Pepperidge Farm Bakery Classics Onion Hamburger Buns w/Poppy Seeds)
Coleslaw - (makes 8 servings)
- 3 cups green cabbage finely shredded, optionally shred with a mandoline slicer
- 2 cups purple cabbage finely shredded, optionally shred with a mandoline slicer
- 1 cup carrot finely shredded
- ½ cup Kewpie Mayo
- ½ cup Duke's May
- ½ tbsp black mustard seeds
- ½ tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl, cover with cling wrap and place in refrigerator.
Burger & Bun Cook
- Mix Down Home Rub and cayenne together, then blend into 6 oz ground pork butt and form into a burger patty.
- Split onion bun and place on baking sheet with the inside facing up, and toast under the broiler.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on high with grape seed oil until the oil shimmers.
- Place burger in skillet and turn heat down to medium / medium-high.
- Flip around the 3 minute mark, and cook until internal temperature is 165°F.
- Spread a thin to medium layer of Sweet Bourbon BBQ sauce on the top and bottom bun halves.
- Place fresh peach slice on bottom bun, and hit it with a pinch of salt.
- Place burger on top of peach slice.
- Crispy bacon - break or cut in half and place two halves side by side on top of burger.
- Take a small handful (about 2 oz) of coleslaw and place on top of bacon.
- Crown with top half of toasted onion bun.
- Serve with Jalapeño Ranch Potato Chips. (Cape Cod® Waves Jalapeño Ranch Waves Kettle Cooked Potato Chips preferred.)